Take a virtual tour of the windmill.
History. Built in 1787 and in operation until 1896, the old Jamestown windmill stands high on Windmill Hill in the center of the island. It is a three-story octagonal structure with a domed cap that turns into the wind. The domed cap, the bonnet, carries the wind shaft and the arms.
The original framework of the mill is of hand-hewn chestnut timbers with shingled exterior. The mill is maintained in working condition and major renovations to repair damage from weather and insects were completed in 2000-2001. Booklets on the Windmill's history and operation are available at the Museum.