The Society has approximately 375 Members and an all-volunter no paid staff of 35 Committee and Program Workers, 11 Officers & Directors, and about 150 volunteers. Committee Organization
The Society maintains its Museum on 92 Narragansett Avenue and The Windmill on North Road. The Society helps manage the Quaker Meetinghouse on North Road and The Battery off Beavertail Road.
JHS has 4,500 photographs, letters, documents and memorabilia. Much of the Collection is about the ferry service and recently demolished Jamestown Bridge. The Collection Committee has nearly completed its JHS Digitization Project to image the collection for online viewing and security.
JHS has a new environmentally controlled vault to house valuable collectibles. Located in the Basement of the new Town Hall. It has storage space and work stations and has all the latest water and fire protection systems as well as the latest temperature and humidity control systems.
Programs and Exhibits
The Society produces four public summer events to promote interest in the Town's history. The Society creates summer exhibits for its Museum and maintains a display case and exhibits in the Town Library.
A newsletter is published bi-annually and research papers are published from time to time.
Funding for The Society's operations is from member dues, event revenue, publication and souviener sales, donations from individuals and foundation grants.
2005 - The JHS purchased at auction the Town's first land title: a 1657 document dividing the island amoung the first 100 owners.
2006 - The JHS developed and adopted a Long Range Plan to restore the 1886 Museum building, build an environmentally controlled vault, open a museum workshop in the Town's school.
2007 - The JHS implemented a Capital Campaign and raised over $500,000 to repair / restore the Museum , build an environmentally controlled vault for valuables in its collection, and to add to its endowment to help pay for operations and programs.
2008 - The JHS completed all its Museum restorations and finished the vault in the basement of Jamestown town Hall.